The overall goal of ECOOP is to: Consolidate, integrate and further develop existing European coastal and regional seas operational observing and forecasting systems into an integrated pan- European system targeted at detecting environmental and climate changes, predicting their evolution, producing timely and quality assured forecasts, providing marine information services (including data, information products, knowledge and scientific advices) and facilitate decision support needs.
This is to be attained through the following activities:
- Integrate existing coastal and regional sea observing (remote sensing, in-situ) networks into a pan-European observing system.
- Integrate existing coastal and regional sea forecasting systems into a pan-European forecasting system and assimilate pan-European observation database into the system.
- Assess the quality of pan-European observing and forecasting system.
- Advance key technologies for the current and next generation pan-European observing and forecasting system.
- Develop and generate value-added products for detecting environment and climate change signals.
- Integrate and implement a pan-European Marine Information System of Systems (EuroMISS) for general end user needs.
- Develop methodology and demonstrate an European Decision Support System for coastal and regional seas (EuroDeSS) that responds to the needs from targeted end users, as emphasized in the GEOSS and GMES initiatives.
- Carry out technology transfer both in Europe and at intercontinental level; establish education and training capacities to meet the need for ocean forecasters.
ECOOP will achieve its goals by implementing an integration of observations and modelling into a pan-European marine information system of systems (EuroMISS) and design of a European decision support system (EuroDESS) for coastal and regional seas.
The work will be organised under 4 core themes, which are subdivided into 12 work packages:
1. Observation System
WP1: Quantitative assessment of observation systems: gaps and quality
WP2: Integration of observing networks (pan- EU baseline system)
WP3: Optimal synergy between remote sensing – in situ
2. Forecasting System
WP4: Modelling and forecasting system assessment: standards, quality, functions
WP5: Integration of modelling and forecasting systems (baseline system)
WP6: System development (downscaling, data assimilation, eco-modelling)
WP7: Synergy between coastal forecasting and newly available data and methodologies
(a step towards next generation forecasting systems)
3. Information system – EuroMISS and EuroDESS
WP8: European Marine Information System of Systems (EuroMISS)
WP9: European decision supporting system (EuroDESS)
WP10: Hindcast and scenario studies
4. Technology transfer, education and training
WP11: International cooperation, technology transfer
WP12: Education and Training
A summary of each workpackage is given in the menu above.