- 1986 IMEDEA starts its journey on April 16, 1986, when the Parliament of the Balearic Islands, unanimously approved the R.G.E. Proposal 528/86, stating the following: "That the Government of the Balearic Islands, through the Ministry of Education and Culture, should contact the Higher Council for Scientific Research (CSIC) and the University of the Balearic Islands (UIB) in order to assist institutionally and financially in the establishment of the Institute for Advanced Studies.
On September 18th 1986, the Government of the Balearic Islands adopted the following resolution: "To express the explicit wish to participate in the practical conduct of the Institute for Advanced Studies, to be installed in the Balearic Islands, the CSIC insofar that the project is reviewed and accepted by the Governing Council, and according to the relevant budgetary availability for 1987 ".
Finally, the Institute for Advanced Studies (IEA) of the Balearic Islands as a joint center between the UIB and the CSIC, is created by an agreement signed by the two institutions dated 7 November of that year. The IEA is organized into three departments (then called Structural Units): Natural Resources, Mathematical Logic (later called Cognitive Science) and Catalan Philology.
- 1995 On June 19th 1995, a new specific agreement between the UIB and CSIC is signed. By this agreement, the IEA –which is now called the Mediterranean Institute for Advanced Studies (IMEDEA)- is restructured in two departments, Natural Resources and Interdisciplinary Physics.
In December 1995, the CSIC and the City of Esporles (Mallorca) sign an agreement by which the City Council grants the CSIC assignment for 99 years in the building and adjoining land occupied by the old municipal schools (Ses Escoles Velles). The building will become the headquarters of IMEDEA, and the CSIC commits itself to thell rehabilitation of the building. Soon after, a new agreement is signed by which the CSIC acquires the full property (building and land).
- 1997 Beginning of the restoration works of the building.
- 1999 In late 1999, the restoration works conclude and a part of the staff of the IMEDEA moves to Esporles. For the first time since its founding in 1986, has IMEDEA own site. Until then, his staff was located, so scattered in different departments and agencies of the UIB.
- 2001 As of September 25th, the official opening of the building happens with the presence of the Minister of Science and Technology, Mrs. Anna Birulés i Bertran, the president of the Autonomous Community of the Balearic Islands, Mr Francesc Antich i Aguiló , President of CSIC, Dr. Rolf Tarrach Siegel, the president of the UIB, Dr. Llorenç Huguet i Rotger and Esporles City Mayor Mr. Jaume Pou i Reinés.
- 2003 Works for expanding Esporles headquarters are started with the construction of a new annex building, which was officially inaugurated on June 2, 2008 with the presence of the president of the Autonomous Community of the Balearic Islands, Mr Francesc Antich i Aguilo, President of CSIC, Dr. Rafael Rodrigo, the rector of the UIB, Dra. Montserrat Casas, and the Mayor of Esporles Miquel Ensenyat.
- 2006 On August 2nd, 2006, the CSIC and UIB modify their Collaboration Agreement. Based on the recommendations of the Evaluation Panel of the IMEDEA 's Action Plan 2006-2009, they agree to segregate the Interdisciplinary Physics Department, which constitutes Institute for Cross-Disciplinary Physics and Complex Systems (IFISC)..
- 2008 On June 2nd, 2008, a new specific agreement is singed between the CSIC and UIB. By this agreement, the IMEDEA is restructured into four departments: Biodiversity and Conservation, Ecology and Marine Resources Research, Global Change and Marine Technologies, y Operational Oceanography and Sustainability, in which the area of General Services added pending structuring.
In 2008, following the IMEDEA's Strategic Plan for 2010-2013, the area of General Services is structured into four units: Management Services, Research Support, Maintenance and Infrastructures, Maintenance and Infrastructures, y Information Technology and Communication. In addition, a Singular Facilities Service is created for managing the experimental stations of the IMEDEA,, and the Library Service the Library and Documentation Service of the UIB.
History and quick facts